Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Who in the World is Char Patton

For those wondering who in the world I am, I am a person who grew up in an average suburban family and after raising two children, my daughter Lizzie and my son Alden (who now has his own family, S.O. Char (yes, that's her name too!) and Grandsons Zack & Rhett, and working in business for most of my adult life (so far) now find myself very fortunate in life to have what I consider a dream job. I am employed by a major cruise line that has taken me to over 120 countries!











The cruise line I work for is Holland America Line, based in Seattle Washington. We currently have 14 ships sailing in our fleet ranging in size from 38,000 tons (793 guests) to 88,000 tons (2100 guests). I work onboard one of our "dam" ships (each ship in the fleet has "dam" in the name - Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Prinsendam, Noordam, etc.) for 8 months of the year. This is considered full time employment as when I am onboard, I work 7 days per week. My 8 months on board are not continuous. My contracts range from 2-4 months, with 1-2 months off in between contracts. I have sailed to most areas of the world but find that the more places I visit, the more places I want to visit.


My next contract should be the most exciting so far as it will take me around the world. I begin my journey on December 23, 2009. I will be journalizing my trip as well as my preparation for the trip. Let me know what you would like to hear more about.

No comments:

Post a Comment